Much of DLD's work is accomplished by committees, each of which is charged with duties specified in the organization's bylaws. Committees are composed of a chair and members, each of whom serves a three-year term. Committee chairs are appointed by the president with the advice of the Executive Board and the chairs, in turn, appoint at least six members of their committees in a rotation so that one third of the membership is new each year. To be a member of a committee, one must be a member of DLD; those members who are interested in joining a committee should contact the appropriate committee chair directly or DLD's executive director.
Publications and Communications Committee
- William Therrien, Chairperson
- Shaqwana Freeman-Green, Illinois State
- Kristen Ashworth, College of Charleston
- Delinda van Garderen, University of Missouri
- Douglas Dexter, Pennsylvania State University
- Hank Fien, University of Oregon
- Abby Carlisle, University of Missouri
The Publications and Communications Committee
- Coordinates the publication of the Division's professional journal (Learning Disabilities Research and Practice) and newsletter (New Times for DLD);
- Reviews the publications structure of the Division;
- Recommends to the Executive Board the publications which should be issued by the Division;
- Recommends policies and procedures related to their growth and development; and
- Assumes responsibilities for the Samuel A. Kirk Awards, the Division’s annual awards which recognize excellence in professional journal articles that have been published in Learning Disabilities Research and Practice.
- Bryan Cook, Chairperson
- Alison Boardman, Member
- Diane Haager, Member
- Elizabeth Hughes, Member
- Michael Solis, Member
- Jessica Toste, Member
The Research Committee
- Reviews current research in the field of learning disabilities and related disciplines, and reports noteworthy findings to the membership through Division publications;
- Encourages the continuation of quality research in the field of learning disabilities;
- Takes responsibility for procedures with regard to the Annual Dissertation Award.
Professional Development, Standards, and Ethics Committee
- Jessica Wery, Chairperson
- Devin Kearns, University of Connecticut
- Sarah Conoyer, Texas A&M Commerce
- Chris Lemons, Vanderbilt University
- Stephen Ciullo, Texas State University
The Professional Development, Standards, and Ethics Committee
- Advocates for appropriate standards to maintain high quality education and services for persons with learning disabilities;
- Promotes high quality teacher training and delivery of educational, therapeutic, and social services to individuals with learning disabilities;
- Promulgates activities which will disseminate good practices;
- Participates in appropriate committees or commissions which are developing or reviewing standards of performance for professionals in the field of learning disabilities and related fields;
- Advocates for ethical practice in the field of learning disabilities;
- Assumes responsibility for procedures for awarding the Jeannette Fleischner Career Achievement Award and the Outstanding Educator of the Year Award.
- Devin Kearns, Chairperson
- Michael Hebert, Assistant Professer, Univ. of Nebraska
- Diana Morales, Placement Specialist at Neva King Cooper Educational Center
- Debbie Holzberg, Doctoral Student, Univ. of North Carolina at Charlotte
- Miriam Ortiz, Project Coordinator, Southern Methodist University
The Membership Committee
- Encourages and monitors the development of subdivisions and assists subdivisions in their continuing activities;
- Coordinates with the Council for Exceptional Children to monitor and encourage increase in Division membership.
Public Policy Committee
- David Bateman, Chairperson
The Public Policy Committee
- Studies legislative and governmental affairs relative to needs and proposals regarding learning disabilities;
- Advises the DLD Executive Board about the need to develop position papers on behalf of persons with learning disabilities or the profession;
- Distributes legislative information and action alerts to the DLD Executive Board and designated subdivision CAN contacts;
- Establishes and maintains contact with the Public Policy unit of the Council for Exceptional Children (CEC);
- Establishes and maintains a CAN network and communication system with DLD subdivisions on an annual basis.
Cultural and Linguistic Diversity Committee
- Diane Rodriguez, Chairperson
- Michael Orosco, CLD Committee Member
- Regina Brandon, CLD Committee Member
The Cultural and Linguistic Diversity Committee
- Develops strategies and activities to recruit DLD members from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds;
- Increases publications concerning diverse populations;
- Involves DLD within the International Network.
- Carlos Lavin, Student Representative
The Student Activities
DLD's Student Representative serves as a liason to CEC, sits (ex officio) on DLD's executive board, and coordinates student activities for DLD.